Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Should I stay or should I go now? Concerns & Fear

I have heard it muttered that we are “dog killers.” Please realize most of us coyotes desperately want to avoid you and that means leaving your dogs alone. Really, there are plenty of us around to kill many more dogs but only a few coyotes are giving all of us a bad reputation.  Remember, both your dog and I are territorial. When dogs are barking at us they are often saying, “this is our land” or “stay away.” Some coyotes feel they have to establish dominance and kill the competition. We have no interest in eating your dogs.



Here’s How to Act When You See Me.
  • Do not to leave small dogs, cats or children alone in the yard. Although no children have been attacked by a coyote in the Chicagoland area it is not a responsible practice.
  • Walk dogs on leashes as directed by most cities ordinances.
  • Do not leave pet food or other food scraps out which can serve as attractants for coyotes (Ohio Department of Natural Resources, n.d.).
  • If you are walking a small dog and you see me immediately pick up the dog and practice hazing. Hazing is a technique of making eye contact, shouting, clapping hands, stopping feet and if necessary even throwing rocks near but not hitting me! (Fumo-Fox, 2013). We generally respond to sounds and will flee.
  • Although we can carry diseases, currently none pose a serious risk to humans (Urban Coyote, n.d.).
  • If I seem unwell or am behaving in an unnatural way contact local officials. Do not attempt to approach me.

7 comments:

  1. Common sense would prevent a lot of problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to know what to do when I encounter a coyote. I have seen them before while walking my dog, and chose to slowly back away. I had no idea that "hazing" would have done the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Coyote,
    As a dog that spends the majority of my days watching the house while my "parents" are at work, I must say that I'm pretty jealous. Sure, I've got three hots and a cot, but you've got that freedom! Ugghh, I can just taste it! Keep up the good work, my K9 cousin, and I'll try to steer clear.
    - Riley the dog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the great information on how to handle an encounter. I have had an encounter near my home and as you have mentioned the coyote posed no imediate harm to myself or my dog. It's great to know that they are more afraid of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...great information about the true nature of coyotes. My parents had an injured coyote in their shed, and their dog found it while out walking. Luckily, the dog wasn't threatening toward the coyote and therefore the coyote did not act vicious.I'm glad to see a blog that is spreading positive information about the true nature of this animal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information - I actually had an "encounter" with a coyote this morning. I was up early and feeding my son when I noticed what I thought was a big dog in my back yard. I looked again and was fairly certain it was a coyote. I mentioned something to my neighbor this evening thinking I'd seen a coyote and he said he saw one a couple days earlier cutting through his yard. I am happy to be educated on what to do if we do have an encounter when I am outdoors and face to face with the coyote. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was completely unaware of the prevalence of coyotes in urban environments. Very informative; I am leaving this website with a greater knowledge and understanding of the topic!

    ReplyDelete